The League of Adventurous Dressmakers is a monthly subscription club that focuses on in-depth technique lessons for better garment sewing. As more and more of us seek to sew our own clothes, we want to be sure that we make clothes that are beautiful and well-constructed. With the League of Adventurous Dressmakers by your side, you’ll do it in superhero style! In this warm, communal environment, explore key garment-making techniques to making your hand-sewn clothing the best it can be, and get inspired by other dressmakers while you do!
As a monthly club, a new technique is up for exploration each month in 2017. League members are subscribers who pay a monthly fee to access the content here, in our private “classroom” space. In addition, each registration includes:
- up-close video lessons on a new garment technique each month, all shot in high definition and ready to view full-screen on your computer, laptop, tablet, mobile device, or smartTV
- an accompanying printable PDF guide that walks you through the technique–and variations on it–using text, full-color images, and tips & hints, all specifically designed to make your garment sewing SING–clocking in between six and twenty pages, each guide is really an e-book for you to save and reference!
- a quick-start “cheat sheet” for each technique, so if you don’t want to print the whole guide, you can have a handy reference available near you as you sew
- included full PDF patterns in a range of sizes that allow you to practice the new technique in a practical project
- round-ups of various commercial sewing patterns that feature a particular technique, including independent designers and the “Big 4,” and patterns in both printed and PDF format
- monthly live video chats so we can share comments and concepts in a real-time environment, and connect with other League members
- a private Facebook group so you can tag your own projects, ask questions, get to know your other League members, and share ideas!
- monthly automated email when each new technique is posted, along with direct links to the content on our password-protected “classroom” site
- monthly inspirational email with ideas, concepts, and interviews to inspires you and expand our study of each technique
- coloring pages, connect-the-dots, and extras to download and print!
The patterns are included in your registration, and each month the lesson is built based on your feedback and needs–so the year’s experience is really customized to the folks who join. We’ll be covering adjusting fit and manipulating darts, working with a fly opening, sewing thicker fabrics, converting a sleeve to a raglan, hemming special fabrics, and so much more, even a VIRTUAL FABRIC SHOPPING TRIP that will help us all make the best choices from available fabrics for each style we sew. Each technique video will cover basics of good sewing, plus variations and common concerns. All lessons are suitable for anyone from ambitious beginner to advanced seamstress!