The League of Dressmakers is a monthly subscription club that focuses on in-depth technique lessons for better garment sewing. As more and more of us seek to sew our own clothes, we want to be sure that we make clothes that are beautiful and well-constructed. With the League of Dressmakers by your side, you’ll do it in superhero style–it’s like a neighborhood bowling league, but for sewing! In this warm, communal environment, explore key garment-making techniques to making your hand-sewn clothing the best it can be, and get inspired by other dressmakers while you do.
As a monthly club, a new technique is up for exploration each month. League members are subscribers who pay a monthly fee to access the content here, in our private “classroom” space. Starting in 2018, ALL content from previous years is included in your membership, creating a treasure trove of content archived for your use and reference. In addition, each registration includes:
- up-close video lessons on a new garment technique each month, all shot in high definition and ready to view full-screen on your computer, laptop, tablet, mobile device, or smartTV
- an accompanying printable PDF guide that walks you through the technique–and variations on it–using text, full-color images, and tips & hints, all specifically designed to make your garment sewing SING–clocking in between six and twenty pages, each guide is really an e-book for you to save and reference!
- a quick-start “cheat sheet” for most techniques, so if you don’t want to print the whole guide, you can have a handy reference available near you as you sew
- included full PDF patterns in a range of sizes that allow you to practice the new technique in a practical project
- quarterly sew-alongs with full video guidance for popular indie sewing patterns, applying the monthly techniques and giving you real-world experience in sewing using the skills we’re sharing as a League
- round-ups of various commercial sewing patterns that feature a particular technique, including independent designers and the “Big 4,” and patterns in both printed and PDF format
- monthly live video chats so we can share comments and concepts in a real-time environment, and connect with other League members
- a private Facebook group so you can tag your own projects, ask questions, get to know your other League members, and share ideas!
- monthly automated email when each new technique is posted, along with direct links to the content on our password-protected “classroom” site
- monthly inspirational email with ideas, concepts, and interviews to inspire you and expand our study of each technique
- coloring pages, connect-the-dots, and extras to download and print!
Full and permanent access to all content is included in your membership, and each month’s lesson is built on member feedback and needs–so the entire experience is customized to the folks who join. In coming months, we’ll be covering sewing piping, best practices in pressing various fabrics, machine smocking and shirring, matching plaids and placing fabric designs on a garment, a working glossary of sewing pattern symbols and terms, pattern selection based on body type, making a fitting shell as a primer for fitting a garment, sewing buttons, working with linings/underlinings/interlinings, best practices for adding sleeves, common pattern alterations, how to convert a bodice with sleeves to sleeveless, and so much more, even a VIRTUAL FABRIC & FASHION SHOPPING TRIP to Japan! Each technique video will cover basics of good sewing, plus variations and common concerns.
All lessons are suitable for anyone from ambitious beginner to advanced seamstress!