Updated: Thanks so much for all the interest and the great turn-out for Sewing Buddies! I’ve closed out sign-ups for 2010 and matched all the folks who have joined us. We’ll re-open the Sewing Buddy Project at the New Year for those of you who’d like to join in!
Alright, everyone. As we await the outcome of the Overmost Giveaway, let’s review our Sewing Goals for 2010.
You’ll recall in our last episode that a massive proportion of us reported that we’d sew better/make more/be more satisfied/learn faster/be happier if we had a sewing friend with whom to compare projects, trade ideas and inspiration, and who would keep us on track over the course of the year to see that we get where we’re going. Since I firmly believe we should all follow the Golden Rule, I’ve designed a Sewing Buddy system that allows us to team up with a partner who will do that for you while you reciprocate, so that we all get the support and community we crave. Our Sewing Buddies will be there to help see us through these last few months of 2010 with all our goals met! Ready to sign up?
Here’s how it works:
- Leave a comment. Include a working email address that you check.
- You’ll receive an email from me asking you to (1) confirm your participation and (2) name a favorite color and a number between 1 and 10.
- I’ll use the responses to the emails I receive to match you up with a Sewing Buddy perfectly suited to your temperament, using a unique formula devised by NASA scientists and perfected in the deep reaches of outer space.*
- I’ll send an email to the both of you giving introductions in proper Victorian style (a lady never spends time with someone to whom she has not been properly introduced), and then like a mother whose chicks are leaving the nest, I’ll step back and watch as the friendship flourishes.
- You and your buddy will make the initial contact and see where it leads you! I’ll check in from time-to-time with Sewing Buddy challenges, quizzes and activities to keep you motivated–doesn’t that sound like fun??
Some of you might be thinking, “But I don’t know if I have room for a greater commitment. And what if I get stuck with a looney??” Fear not. This is not a long-term commitment or relationship. These are our 2010 Sewing Buddies–a chance to meet someone new and build a relationship. At the end of this calendar year, if you’re not feeling it, that’s cool! You’ll shake virtual hands and walk away before New Year’s, and find a new Sewing Buddy. If you’re bestest friends and this is the greatest thing that’s ever happened to you, then when you get a new Sewing Buddy in 2011, you keep your old one and your circle of sewing love just gets bigger! What could be better than that?
The Sewing Buddy Program ™ is open to EVERYONE, regardless of age or location or skill level. Think of it like a pen pal, but you’re both sewing and sharing via the internet. Oh, I’m so excited I can hardly type right now!
Over the coming months, I’ll pop in periodically with ideas for how to introduce yourselves, projects you might want to do together, interviews with some of our buddies who have really gone the distance, and features of all the sewing that’s getting done thanks to the added encouragement that only another sewing friend can provide. I’m really, really excited to see everything y’all are going to produce, and can’t wait to get started with you!
OK, so: review the bullet points above. Leave a comment. And get ready: you’re about to triple your productivity* and gain a new friend all with the click of your mouse!
Sewing Buddy powers, activate!!
*All scientific and statistical references are totally made up, but that doesn’t mean they’re not true.